Smart strategies for the transition in coal-intensive regions (TRACER)
TRACER aims to support a number of coal-intensive regions around Europe to design (or re-design) their research and innovation strategies in order to facilitate their transition towards a sustainable energy system.
The project focuses on nine regions. These are South East Bulgaria, North West Bohemia (CZ), Lusatian Lignite District (DE), West Macedonia (GR), Upper Silesian Coalfield (PL), West Romania and Wales (UK) within the EU, and Kolubara (Serbia) and Donetsk (Ukraine) outside the EU.
Core activities include:
- bringing together a wide range of stakeholders in each target region to discuss and agree on a shared vision and priorities for coal transition
- joint development of R&I strategies, industrial roadmaps and decision support tools
- identification and analysis of best practice examples of successful and ambitious transition processes in coal intensive regions
- assessment of social, environmental and technological challenges
- the elaboration of guidelines on how to mobilise investment
- activities to stimulate R&I cooperation among coal intensive regions in Europe and beyond.